What causes Acne?
Acne is a disorder of a specialized unit the skin posseses called the "pilosebaceous unit." This unit consists of a hair follicle, a sebaceous gland, the erector pili and the hair. We know that the hair basically grows from the follicle and the erector pili make the hair stand up but what is this sebaceous gland? It makes sebum. This sebum is responsible for keeping the skin moisturized.
Propionibacterium acnes is a bacteria that is present all over your skin all the time. It loves sebum and uses it to grow. You have white blood cells in your body. These white blood cells are attracted to the Propionibacterium acnes. The more P. acnes you got the more activity these white blood cells will be havin'. When you see inflammation and papules its a result of an enzyme released by the white blood cells. Obstructed follicles is a major reason behind acne. Ever notice how a small razor cut on your skin ends up all bumpy?
How can you prevent Acne?
Sometimes some people really can't prevent it. Whether it be genetic or environmental there are thousands of reasons for unclear skin. If you suffer from some serious acne consult a physician. If you're like many of us and just have blemished skin here and there these tips will drastically improve your appearance.
- If your a guy and still shave with typical store bought cartridge razors, switch over to a safety razor.
- Women too, consider a safety razor. Also, quit waxing. Consider laser hair removal.
- Don't be a dirt bag. Wash your bed sheets and your pillow covers weekly.
- Sleep with a clean cotton towel on your pillow. Rotate it around so you're sleeping on a "fresh" surface every night.
- Keep your hair clean.
- Stop touching your face. It's disgusting and you're just smothering filth all over it with your hands.
- Don't use aftershaves with alcohol bases, they dry your skin out and hyperactivate your sebaceous glands.
- Don't over due it on face cleansers. Everyone is unique. I naturally have oily skin, I use an exfolient twice a week.
- If your skin is shiny and tight you're washing it too much.
If you've got some serious acne, you need to consult a physcian. If you're like most of us check out these acne treatments below.
- A good exfolient works wonders. Use it.
- Disposible wipes are cheap and effective at getting dirt and filth off your face thoughout the day.
- Switch over to a DE razor.
- I didn't know people actually do this, but use hot water when you wash your face. I got a message from someone who though hot water caused acne. Weird I know.